How many of us from the Caribbean remember as children putting a ‘Wonder of The World’ leaf in our school book and watching over time as it sprouts roots? It is a plant of wonder to many of us, but we are mostly unaware of the excellent curative powers of the plant.
The Miracle Plant
The ‘Wonder of The World’ (Kalanchoe pinnata) plant, also known as Miracle leaf, is much celebrated for its curing capabilities. This miracle plant is native to Madagascar. It has also become naturalized in Asia, the Pacific, and all over the Caribbean.
A recent study has revealed that this amazing plant is a rich source of T-Cell suppressive flavonoids. What this means is that it has cancer fighting properties.
Some Of The Other Constituents Of The Miracle Plant Are…
- Bryophillin A (anti tumor)
- C- anticarcinogenic
- Beta carotene. Beta carotene is converted by the body into vitamin A (retinol). We need vitamin A for healthy skin and mucus membranes, the immune system. Beta carotene is also important in promoting eye health and vision.
Internal Uses Of The Plant Are…
- Sinuses and other respiratory illnesses.
- Colds and flues.
- Most significant of all, it is helpful in treating hypertension (high blood pressure).
The easiest and perhaps most effective way of doing so, would be to make a tea out of the leaf. Drink the tea at least once a day until symptoms disappear. For cough and flu symptoms drink several times a day.
External Uses Of Wonder of The World
Externally it is used for among other things – arthritis. To do this, the leaf is heated and placed on the affected area.
In treating cataracts and styes (hordeolum). Begin by boiling some of the leaves in hot water. Let it cool and then squeeze the juice in the affected area.
- Cuts/Bruises/External Ulcers
It is also used for cuts and bruises and external ulcers. For sore, tired feet soak in a solution made by setting the leaves in warm water.