Lemongrass is a plant that is popular in both Asia and Africa for hundreds, possibly thousands, of years. It is also known as ‘fever grass’ or ‘citronella’, Generally known for its aromatic properties, it is commonly used as an insect repellent. However, Lemongrass has many curative properties and assists in the fight against some of our most common and dangerous lifestyle diseases.
It is also generally known that Lemongrass is helpful in healing fevers, coughs, and colds. However, it is able to do much more. Below are seven (9) of the healing benefits of Lemongrass.
9 Healing Benefits Of Lemongrass
- 1. High Blood Pressure – in a 2012 study, 72 male volunteers were given either lemongrass tea or green tea to drink. Those who drank the lemongrass tea experienced a moderate drop in blood pressure. They also had a significantly lower heart rate. Researchers caution though, that men with heart and blood pressure problems should use lemongrass in moderation.
- 2. PMS – Drinking one or two cups of tea made from the grass help with menstrual cramps, bloating, and hot flashes.
- 3. Insomnia – Suffering from insomnia? Then be sure to drink a cup of tea just before bedtime, it helps restore restful sleep.
- 4. Constipation – it also keeps the bowels moving properly. As a result, it eliminates constipation.
- 5. Acne – drinking the tea on a regular basis helps in clearing acne and other skin issues.
- 6. Rheumatism – it helps relieve joint pain.
- 7. Antiseptic and astringent – properties make it ideal for not only skin and hair care. But also in the fight against body odors. You should add it to your shampoos; conditioners and deodorants.
- 8. Detoxifier – The tea has been used as a detoxifier. It is used to detoxify the digestive tract, kidneys, liver, bladder, and pancreas.
Most Importantly Lemongrass Kills Cancer Cells
The big breakthrough, however, came when scientists in Israel discovered that it helps in the fight against cancer. Researchers discovered that the plant has cancer-curing properties. Placing the fragrant herb in a petri-dish with both the cancerous and the healthy cells. The scientists discovered, to their amazement, that the healthy cells were not negatively impacted, while the cancerous cells died.
The active ingredient which is responsible for such remarkable results is citral. Just one (1) gram. of the herb has enough citral in it to cause the cancer cells to commit suicide, without damaging the healthy cells.
It Contains These Vitamins & Minerals
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Folic Acid
To grow Lemongrass is quite a simple project, simply separate a portion of the stalk and replant. In a short while, you shall begin to see the plant sprouting new leaves. It can also be grown through seeds.FactsheetLemongrass